COVID-19 Related Education Resources
COVID-19 has presented unprecedented challenges to our education structures. To face these challenges, many educators have developed new or adjusted existing education processes, modalities, and content to generate meaningful alternatives in health sciences education. Below is a catalog of some of the education innovations happening within Michigan Medicine and a list of other key resources.
Michigan Medicine Education Innovations COVID-19 Catalog
Working Toward Zero Harm in the Time of COVID-19: Strategies for Reducing Infectious Transmission Description: A webinar that reveals how powerful lessons taken from prior coronavirus infections –particularly SARS in 2003– have been used to prevent the spread of infection. Preserving the workforce is critical for patient care. This webinar focuses on safe practices for tracheostomy, airway, and intensive care related to novel coronavirus infection.
Contact: Michael Brenner, MD, email@example.com , Department of Otolaryngology
More Information: Access the webinar here
COVID-19 Staffing Project Description: An education-focused module created by the Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Department of Learning Health Sciences, and the Procedural Learning and Safety Collaborative to assign all graduate medical education (GME) trainees in COVID-related hospital roles based on their specialty and level of experience.
Contact: Greg Wnuk, MHSA, firstname.lastname@example.org, Center for Surgical Training and Research, Michigan Medicine
More Information: Please visit www.covidstaffing.org
Surgery for Breakfast Description: Students and surgeon-educators participate in a 30-45-minute morning meeting to review cases. After each session, students provide feedback to improve the format, which is incorporated into the next meeting. Surgery for Breakfast remains fluid to include changes to further promote learning, which has supported student-led cases.
Contact: Natalie Moreno, email@example.com, Department of Surgery
Physical and Occupational Therapist BlueJeans Training Description: In light of COVID-19, many healthcare providers have had to cancel or defer patients to a later date; however, physical and occupational therapists are still servicing patients via telehealth and the BlueJeans. A PowerPoint was created to instruct therapists on how to set up a BlueJeans session, how to give appropriate and simple patient instructions, as well as resources for the therapist to immediately implement telehealth out of their home in accordance to HIPAA and Michigan Medicine’s guidelines.
Contact: Natasha Taylor, PT, MS, OCS, firstname.lastname@example.org, Canton Health Center
More Information: Download training resource here: Bluejeans and Telehealth in clinical practice MM
Medical Student Quality Improvement Tools Description: An interactive workshop for medical students focused on quality improvement tools. The workshop utilizes a case study to allow students the opportunity to construct process mapping, collect data, define a problem statement, create SMART goals, and apply root cause analysis techniques while working within an interprofessional team.
Contact: Jamie Lindsay, email@example.com, University of Michigan Quality Department
More Information: Contact Ms. Lindsay
University of Michigan Office of Continuing Medical Education & Lifelong Learning Claim Hours for COVID-19 Response Description: The Office of Continuing Medical Education & Lifelong Learning is offering category 1 CME credit for time spent working and learning as you administer, prepare or care for patients with COVID-19 during this exceptional time.
More Information: Download resources here: https://files.aievolution.com/prd/umm1601/docs/COVID-19_Workplace_Learning.pdf
External COVID-19 Resources
- Academic Medicine collection – COVID-19 and Medical Education
- American Medical Association (AMA) – Medical Education COVID-19 Resource Guide
- American Medical Association (AMA) – GME Resources During COVID-19 Crisis
- American Medical Association (AMA) – UME Resources During COVID-19 Crisis
- Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics (APGO)- COVID-19 Resources for Clerkship Directors and Students
- Harvard Macy Institute (HMI) Crowdsourced List of Online Teaching Resources
- Mary Ann Liebert, Inc. Access to Free Online Articles to Ensure that the COVID-19 Outbreak is Fully Understood and Contained
- MedEdPORTAL Virtual Learning Resources During COVID-19
- Medical School COVID-19 Websites for Faculty and Online Instruction (Google Document)
- Special COVID-19 Edition: MESRE Annotated Bibliography
Calls for COVID-19 Related Submissions
- Academic Medicine: Call for Letters to the Editor from Trainees: Courage, Connection, and COVID-19
- Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) – Building Better Curriculum Webinars
- Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) – Clinical Teaching and Learning Experiences without Physical Patient Contact
- Bentley Historical Library Archives UM’s Pandemic Experiences
- Medical Education Adaptations: Really Good Stuff for Educational Transition During a Pandemic